Thursday, March 31, 2011

Now I've gone and done it...

...I'm no longer a Twitter virgin. But I still ask that you please be gentle with me.

It all started because I set up a phone meeting with a Penn State career counselor for next week. Up until now, Facebook was my only foray into social media, but Penn State is big on having their students on Linked In for job networking purposes. So I took the plunge and joined Linked In because I knew the counselor would ask me about it.

There I needed to include a summary bio of myself, so I wrote this: "I'm fluent in media -- radio, TV, voiceover, production, social media, blogging, event hosting. I love words and I love to make them sing. (Oh yeah, I sing too!)" But then I started thinking, "Am I being truthful by saying I'm fluent in social media if I've never joined Twitter?" Oh, I'd surfed around it before, mostly at work looking for things to blog about on the station's website, but fluent? Hardly. It was at that point that I decided to make an honest woman of myself, so I did what I never thought I'd do. I joined Twitter. And now here I am blogging about it. (See how I'm embracing this whole techie-communication thingy?)

For now I'm still in Twitter 101 mode, so don't expect too much from me right off the bat. But you'll find me there under the username @MBbluesky. I just tweeted for the first time a few minutes ago... even used a hashtag. And ooh, it felt so good.

1 comment:

  1. GO YOU! I have to say, Twitter drives me nuts...so I deleted my account. I feel OLD and out of touch. Hope you enjoy it more than I did and have fun "following" folks - I always liked seeing what different celebrities posted!

    P.S. Just had a baby shower and one of the guests was the first female to ever "apply/audition" for Penn State's mascot years ago! Thought of you!

    ReplyDelete