Friday, August 13, 2010

Ah, the best laid plans...

Yeah yeah, I know... this is the first time I've updated my new blog since I started it a couple of weeks ago. I've had all sorts of good intentions to write here on a regular basis. In fact, there have been several days recently when I thought, "Hmm, I really should update my blog." I'd like this whole new writing thing to become a welcome habit, not something I dread like jury duty, or eating tripe.

Now that I'm on my two-week semester break from Penn State, I've got some extra time on my hands. And again, I've had all kinds of good intentions: "I'm going to work out like a demon every day!" "I'm going to catch up with all the friends I've been neglecting!" "I'm going to find every excuse to use copious exclamation points!" Okay, that last one's not real, but still... during the first several days of my break, I've done very little exercising, a lot of sleeping, and a bit of reading.

Since I don't normally read much for pleasure when school is in session, I vowed to finish the book that's been on my nightstand for months: The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough. I had read my older sister's dog-eared paperback copy while I was in my teens, but a lot of the deeper stuff in the book went whooshing over my head. I appreciated it so much more this time around. (And unlike my sister's copy back in the day, my newer one doesn't automatically fall open to the hot forbidden sex scene between fallen priest Ralph and his true love Meggie.)

Next up: the "reconnecting with friends" part of my break. On Sunday, Steve & I will head a couple of hours north for a much-anticipated weekend reunion with our dear friends Lysle & Marietta. There'll be tons of mouth-watering food, incredible wines flowing freely, and a chance to spend some long-overdue quality time with two of the most wonderful people on the planet. And it's my intention to enjoy every single moment of it.

2 comments:

  1. If that is the "Thornbirds" that they turned into a mini-series in the '80's, remind me to tell you about the time I snuck into the kitchen to watch it after my parents thought I went to bed. Yeah...I was 11. Have fun in Lake County!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the one, Marcus! Obviously your childhood experience scarred you for life. ;-)

    ReplyDelete