Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The title of my previous post lies!

Well, so much for MB's two days of summer. After two months of one of the foggiest, chilliest summers in San Francisco history, yesterday's high was 87, and today it got up to a sun-baked 98, with triple digits in some of the outlying areas. Kinda like the old saying "when it rains, it pours", except considerably drier. It was so hot today, I traded in my wardrobe staple of jeans for a dress. (Yes, I manage to look like a girl about three days a year. I really should've started using the self-tanner a bit earlier, though!)

Now, I try not to be the type of person to look a gift heatwave in the mouth, but really... did we have to go the meteorological equivalent of zero to sixty in just a few days? Even our sun-worshiping cats were both constantly shifting places around the apartment trying to find a cooler snoozing spot. I, on the other hand, had no trouble there... I just pulled the curtains closed, turned on the fan, climbed into bed and sacked out blissfully for 45 minutes.

Prior to naptime, though, I managed to slip out for a walk in Golden Gate Park before it got too crazy hot. The sprinklers were on in various parts of the park, and unlike my usual effort to dodge the spray when it's 30 degrees cooler, today I just plowed right on through for a welcome little spritz. Ahh... a brief trip back to my childhood when my mom would set up the lawn sprinkler to spray around the side yard for Jean & me to frolic in.

Taking full advantage of this rare new thing called summer, I was inspired to make lemonade. Steve & I do try to watch our diets (most of the time), so I found a recipe for low-sugar lemonade made with unsweetened applesauce and maple syrup instead of sugar. Yeah, it does sound weird, doesn't it? But I thought I'd give it a shot, using agave nectar instead of the maple syrup to make it a little less weird. It was okay, but it wasn't lemonade. I've decided that I'm a lemonade purist. Nothing more than lemons, sugar and water will do. Okay, maybe strawberries once in a while. All right, maybe some mint. And occasionally a splash of vodka, but that's it, I swear.

Thankfully, this little taste of summer slipped in before I got bogged down in schoolwork again. My Penn State fall semester classes started yesterday, and the first week is very basic introductory stuff, so I got that all-important taste of summer freedom before I have to start seriously hitting the books. Tonight, I raise my Diet Pepsi high in a toast to the sun... while it lasts. The weekend forecast is once again calling for clouds and fog, with below-normal highs in the 50's and near-record lows in the 40's. Sixty to zero, here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment