Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Now we're talkin'...

...or writing, as the case may be. As usual, it's been a while since I've done a new blog post... blah, blah, blah... stop me if you've heard this before. But the main reason that I created this blog was to give myself an outlet for my relatively new interest in writing. This semester, I have an English class about non-fiction writing... and I lo-o-o-o-ve it! In fact, dare I say it, my limited blogging experience has groomed me to do well in the class (and yes, so far I am). I'm cruising through this semester (a nice change from the last very challenging one), I've scheduled my summer classes already (my last semester before graduation in August... yay!), and I'm digging into the homestretch.

And now, to completely disregard any thoughts of a coherently written piece that I may have learned in my class, I give you some random thoughts that I've had over the last several weeks. For each one, I considered doing a blog post but never quite got there, so each one now gets its own mini-blog.

--Do you know how incredibly easy it is to make your own ricotta? Well, I haven't done it yet... but "Barefoot Contessa" Ina Garten made it look incredibly easy on Food Network this past week. And given my quest to remove as much processed food as I can from my diet these days, I think I'll give it a try soon. I've developed a taste for this quasi-cheesecakey dessert with ricotta, lemon zest, honey and blueberries. I bet it'll be incredible with homemade ricotta... I'll give you a full report if I make some.

--My Steelers lost the Super Bowl this past weekend. Congrats to the Packers... they played a great game. The Steelers? Not so much, but at least they made it interesting at the end. Over the course of the season, I never really expected them to make it to the "Big Game", so the fact that they did was a bonus. I was not at all impressed with the Black Eyed Peas' halftime show, and to be perfectly honest, I didn't even realize that Christina Aguilera messed up the words to the National Anthem until all the media hoopla afterward. And a final note to Ben Roethlisberger: please, please, please behave yourself off the field from here on out. Now... bring on baseball season, baby!

--I have rediscovered yoga, and I love it! I've been trying to do it at least a couple of times a week, moreso lately now that my hip problems from a few years ago have reared their ugly head again, and yoga helps me give that area a really good stretch. (I'm doing everything I can to not have to go back to physical therapy for my hip, but I will if I have to.) If you've got stress in your life (and who doesn't these days?) and you've never done yoga before, I suggest that you give it a try. It takes some getting used to at first, but once you get the hang of it, it feels great! Like some other things in life which shall remain nameless. ;-)

Okay, enough of this mini-blog chit-chat... back to the books for me. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Go you! For writing...for going to school...for keeping up with your blog...for doing yoga...for learning new things to cook! You are my hero!!!! PS - Mind sharing your hip dilemma? Would love to hear if yoga helps vs. hurts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea: I have bursitis in my right hip that flares up occasionally. It came on after I ran my first and only marathon six years ago. Lately I've been doing a fair amount of kickboxing, so the impact aggravates the problem. For me, yoga is at least a temporary source of relief... plus, like I said, it's great stress relief too! :-)

    ReplyDelete